Ⅰ. Phonetics (10 points)
In each of following groups of words, there are four underlined letter combinations marked A, B, C and D. Compare underlined parts and identify the one that is different from the others in pronunciation. Mark your answer by blackening the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
1.A. enough B. about C. touch D. young
2.A. thirsty B. throat C. youth D. those
3.A. shut B. cut C. funny D. use
4.A. thanks B. pills C. news D. films
5.A. dear B. heart C. ear D. tear
6.A. births B. depths C. months D. mouths
7.A. election B. pronunciation C. question D. operation
8.A. hot B. home C. top D. off
9.A. may B. day C. stay D. Sunday
10.A. weigh B. eight C. seize D. daily
Ⅱ. Vocabulary and Structure (40 points)
There are 40 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose one answer that best completes the sentence and blacken the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
11. _______ we won the war.
A. In the end B. On the end C. By the end D. At the end
12. As a poor fresh student, he had to do a part-time job _______ money.
A. owing to B. because of C. on account of D. for the sake of
13. Too much drinking would ______ his health.
A. do harm for B. do harmful to C. do harm to D. do harmful for
14. The days _______ you could travel without a passport are a thing of the past.
A. in which B. on which C. of which D. at which
15. He insists that he ______ innocent.
A. is B. be C. should be D. were
16. The teacher said, “Stop ______”. So we stopped _______.
A. to talk…to read B. talking…to read C. talking…reading D. talking…read
17. Could I have some milk, some orange juice, and some eggs ______?
A. instead of B. in addition C. as well D. so much
18. ______ after his death that he was recognized as a great composer.
A. It was not until B. It is until C. It was until D. Not until
19. Our classroom is ______ in the school building.
A. bigger than any other one B. bigger than all
C. the biggest of all the others D. the biggest of any one
20. It was Thomas Alva Edison who ______ the electric lamp.
A. discovered B. invented C. innovated D. found
21. I’d like you ______ to see him.
A. go B. going C. to go D. have gone
22. Your coat ______ his.
A. like B. likes C. is like D. will look like
23. Either you or I _____ meet him at the airport.
A. are to B. is to C. am to D. were to
24. Each has an apple, ______?
A. has he B. doesn’t he C. does he D. don’t they
25. Sports, ______ perhaps you don’t like very much, may make you strong.
A. that B. which C. it D. and
26. We should look ______ the matter before we reach a conclusion.
A. into B. for C. to D. at
27. Hospital doctors don’t go out very often as their work _______ all their time.
A. takes away B. takes in C. takes over D. takes up
28. He is ______ to speak the truth.
A. too much of a coward B. too much a coward
C. so much a coward D. so much of a coward
29. It’s strange that you ______ like that at the meeting.
A. should speak B. spoke C. should have spoken D. speak
30. He ______ when the bus came to a sudden stop.
A. was almost hurt B. was to hurt himself
C. was hurt himself D. was hurting himself
31. Mary likes _______ very much, but she didn’t go _______ last Sunday.
A. to swim…swimming B. swimming…to swim
C. to swim…to swim D. swimming…swimming
32. More ______, less speed.
A. hurry B. rush C. quickness D. haste
33. ______ with the size of the whole earth, the highest mountain doesn’t seem high at all.
A. When compared B. Compare C. While comparing D. Comparing
34. The fact ______ money orders can usually be easily cashed has made them a popular form of payment.
A. of B. is that C. that D. which is
35. He is working very hard to ______ the lost time in the past 10 years.
A. make for B. make up for C. make up D. make out
36. If a child is absent ______ school for long periods, he should be given extra work.
A. at B. in C. from D. out of
37. Neither of your proposals ________.
A. make sense B. are practical C. makes sense D. make senses
38. It is obvious that there are at least two vitamins. ______ is soluble in fat; _____ is soluble in water.
A. The one…the other B. One…the other
C. One…another D. One…the another
39. It’s a good _______ to eat with the mouth closed.
A. custom B. habit C. way D. style
40. You ought not to _______ him the news that day.
A. tell B. be telling C. have told D. be told
41. He attempted _______ to set up a company of his own.
A. with vain B. on vain C. in vain D. of vain
42. -“I slipped on the stairs. I think my arm is broken”.
-“Oh! I _______.”
A. don’t hope B. hope not so C. do not hope D. hope not
43. The last man ______ the sinking ship was the captain.
A. left B. leaves C. to be leaving D. to leave
44. One of his many faults is that that he never ______ any thing very long.
A. decides on B. sticks to C. goes over D. makes up
45. You are worthy _______ the honour.
A. to B. at C. for D. of
46. Billing pitched so well ______ everyone cheered him at the end of the game.
A. as B. since C. that D. whereas
47. The _______ of blood always makes him feel sick.
A. sight B. view C. look D. form
48. A child learns to read by seeing the words _______.
A. properly B. repeatedly C. repeatly D. obviously
49. Our friendship is ______ and we will never again be separated.
A. restored B. reserved C. restrained D. repeated
50. He couldn’t explain the _______ of ten years in his job history.
A. gap B. interrupting C. opening D. margin
Ⅲ. Cloze (20 points)
For each blank in the following passage, there are four choices given below and marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one that is most suitable and mark your answer by blackening the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
Investors can _51_ money simply by loaning it. The money they loan is called capital. Security (担保) is an expensive item which the borrower mortgages (抵押) to the investor to show that he intends to _52_ the debt. The way investors make money on loans is to charge interest. Interest is money that _53_ pay to investors for the use of their money. Interest is usually a certain percentage of the capital. Investors sometimes _54 ten percent or more interest per year. The interest may be calculated daily, monthly, or yearly. The interest must be _55_ before the capital can be repaid. If the interest is not _56_ the agreed rate, the interest is added _57_ the capital. Then the borrower has _58_ pay interest on the unpaid interest _59_ on the capital. A debt can grow quickly this way. If the total of the capital and accumulated interest gets too high, the investor will take _60_ of the item used as security and sell it to get his money back.
51.A. get B. make C. have D. carry
52.A. repay B. leave C. get D. give
53.A. borrowers B. lenders C. peoples D. others
54.A. cost B. ask C. charge D. change
55.A. by day B. by the day C. every day D. daily
56.A. paid B. to be paid C. pay D. paying
57.A. on B. to C. for D. with
58.A. to B. on C. into D onto
59.A. or B. also C. but also D. as well as
60.A. the place B. possession C. turn D. care